Friday, June 26, 2009

Marley & Me

Normally one would see either a movie based on a book adaptation or read the book first...and for some reason whichever order you do it in, I always seem to find the movie version far more impactful than the book....I loved Pride and Prejudice when I read it as an impressionable 12 yr old, but I absolutely fell in love with Mr. Darcy when I saw the BBC adaptation on Star TV (back in the good ol' days when Cable TV stood for quality)...who hasnt swooned at Clint Eastwood (in Bridges of Madison County - oh wait, I was swept away by the bridges themselves too :)), Omar Shareif in Dr. Zhivago and more recently at Matt Damon in the Bourne Trilogy (although by the end of it one just had to say Thank God there were only 3 books...or were there more?)

This week went through the same experience, I bought Marley & Me over the weekend (the book!) and started to read it...then yesterday, while I was only half way through the book, got the DVD and watched it...of course I knew the dog would die but to see it enacted on celluloid was way too much for my stron tear ducts to handle...once the movie was over, the enthusiasm to finish the book was replaced by the focus to just 'finish' the book...so pages just became a number which needed to be conquered and not actual words which had any meaning...

Lesson for the day...Finish the book first and only then watch the movie (unless you absolutely detest the thought of wasting time reading!!!)...it will be worth it...

No comments: